Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Re-doing our guest room

A few months ago, we got a new mattress and boxspring for our bedroom. This meant that our guest room got an upgrade too, since we moved our previous queen set in there and gave our old full set the boot. Fortunately for me (although Andy sees it otherwise, lol) this also meant that the guest room got new bedding since our other stuff was the wrong size. I really had no idea what I wanted since we were going to be swapping bedrooms and I could pretty much start over as far as decor went. We were out one night to pick up a few sets of sheets when I walked by a comforter set. It was one of those moments where you kind of just walk by something, give it a passing glance and then realize what you saw so you put it in reverse and take a closer look. What's more Craftsman (other than sleeping with a blanket of leaves, maybe) and/or quentissential Americana than a quilt? Seriously. And the colors were so fun! So, the set was mine -- err, ours:


That started my color palatte. The bedroom that is to become the guest room has cream crown molding, chair rails, baseboards and closet doors so I knew that I could get away with a darker color on the walls. I decided to use the dark teal color on the quilt as my wall color. Thankfully Behr has ColorSmart and so I was able to select and modify colors until I found one that worked, as seen on the random bedroom walls that Behr lets you "paint":


Eventually, and hopefully soon, I'd like to get a bed set like the one below. It's almost identical to the full size one that we had (it was a birthday gift from my dad when I was 16 or 17) previously... I just like cream headboards, I guess!


I'm obsessed with artwork, seriously. On my down time, if I happen to be online, I've always got a tab open to browse All Posters. The art I'm using in the guest room? I've actually had the prints for about two years now. They were on clearance and I just loved them... They're not anything like what I typically buy (I tend to stick with vintage ads or plant/wildlife scientific-type prints) but for some reason I just had to have them! I think I spent maybe $5.00 a piece on them, which is insane because they were about $40.00 a piece when they were first available. Anyway -- to sum it up -- I love them, I just had no where to put them! So they stayed stashed in my cupboard in their little cardboard roll. It wasn't until I brought the quilt home that I realized Heshi Yu's artwork had the same teals and yellows as the quilt and so, umm, CHA-CHING! Guest room walls = done! I'm using "Springtime" (first piece) and "Skaters" (second piece), as seen below:



Now all I need is the willpower to stop procrastinating and start painting. Blech.

No comments:

Post a Comment