Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lazy Sundays = Art Browsing

We've already determined that I'm a huge fan of artwork, especially vintage art... And especially creepy vintage art. It's a little dreary today and my town is having its annual Saint Patrick's Day parade which means my street will be packed to the brim with cars (I live two blocks off of the street it's on) so I'm not going anywhere that I don't have to today!

(Sidenote: I will be going to my dad's later this afternoon for an early dinner. He sent me a text yesterday asking if we wanted to come over and have chili cheese dogs. Guess I forgot to tell him I went vegetarian two weeks ago, haha. And we've also already determined that my dad is the most outdoorsy-outdoorsman ever and so when I texted back and said the guys would love it but I don't eat meat anymore, his response was "...What?" LOL. He then asked if I wanted tofu hotdogs (NO) or a salad (YES). So, early dinner at my dad's is my one destination today!)

So what do I do when I don't have anywhere to go and don't feel like being productive? I browse artwork! I believe I've mentioned before that our living room is 30 feet long. One side has a 13 or 14 foot long built-in and the other, except for an open doorway leading to the hallway, is alllll wall. I knew as soon as we moved in that it would be my gallery wall and I've been collecting art ever since. I've got roughly two dozen pieces and am still hunting. The sizes vary (though I have a lot of 13 x 19!) from 4 x 6 to 24 x 26 but the colors are pretty much in the same families -- pale green, pale red, creams and browns.

I've got the perfect Craftsman pale green on my walls (thanks to Behr!) so I figured I'd show you the "Colorsmart Preview" that started it all. (Yeah, I totally saved it, and added the name of the color just now!):


While none of the prints below are creepy, here are some of my favorites found today that I've decided I absolutely must have in my life:


Okay first of all, it has peacocks on it (which I love!), but look at all of the amazing color!


I really have no idea what this is for, other than it's showing some kind of "togetherness" throughout the world with all of the flags on the skirts of the women, but again with the color! Need.


One of my favorite kind of prints? The kind that depicts places from long ago. Here's a "bath house" in San Francisco! Love the ladies dancing in the water.


Another favorite kind of print? Vintage ads! Edison lightbulbs! Amazing! Love the fact that his little "pony tail" looks like a lit candle wick.


Do I already have three vintage prints of foxes eluding the hunt? Totally. Could I use another? Totally.


I <3 art nouveau. Just sayin'.


I absolutely adore silly prints. Obviously this puppy is ready to sit down with his family and enjoy Thanksgiving. Totally something my dogs would do. They already eat off of a fork. (Shh! Don't tell Andy.)


I have no clue why the frogs and rabbit are carrying another frog in some kind of hollowed out apple. All I know is that this needs to be on my living room wall. PRONTO.

The watermarks should give away the fact that I found all of these on All Posters. There are almost 37,000 vintage prints and it's safe to assume I've browsed them all. And will soon own half. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment