Monday, February 28, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up

We were all about the house this weekend. Which, in looking at my last week or so's corresponding 365 pictures, it may seem that we've been all about the house for, as Tred would say, a "minute." This is kind of true! The procrastination we've had in finishing a few projects that we had previously put on the back burner is GONE and we're trying to get everything done, done, done!

We bought two of these fans to put in the living room:


We're finally ready to say see-ya-later to the ugly track lighting on ONE side of our 30 foot long living room. This Saturday, Andy will be replacing the lighting with one fan and then installing the other on the other side of our living room. I really have no idea which of the previous owners (since '45) thought it was a good idea to have lighting in only one half of the room, but we're over it!


I ordered the new kitchen faucet as well! In the end, I got it for $185.00 less than the original price (that's an extra $70.00 more off than I thought I'd get) and I am so excited about that! Plus, with Amazon Prime, I paid $3.99 for overnight shipping so it will be here tomorrow! Can't wait to get this bad boy installed!
  

We caved and got this light for our bathroom, as you've already seen from my 365 from yesterday. I know that I said before that we were keeping our previous light fixture in there (it was oil rubbed bronze but I re-finished it in brushed-nickel). Well, when we put up our new fancy-schmancy curtain rod and curtain rings, they were a totally different shade than the light. And it looked weird! This light was half off and I love that the shades point up. With our old light, the shades pointed down and you could see the lightbulbs. I know, who cares, right? That'd be this girl. Sigh.


When we first moved in to our house, there was berber carpet in our living room and hallway. Since I knew that Craftsman bungalows were known for all things natural-wood, I was a little curious. Especially since the kitchen, dining room and one of the bedrooms still had the original hardwood floors. So one night, Andy peeled up a corner and it was like music started playing... Underneath the carpet was the original hardwood with a pretty pattern around the edge. I think we ripped up ALL of the carpet that same night, LOL. In the last four years though, it's been a pain in our butts as far as upkeep goes. We have four dogs and so all of those little puppy paws on hardwood = scratch city. This weekend we decided to buy two huuuge 9x12 rugs. This way, the pattern around the edges (it runs through the middle of the room too, which is why we wanted two rugs... The 9x12's will fit perfectly in the middle of the pattern.) still shows but the rest of the floor isn't getting destroyed. Problem solved!


I found these finials (and matching rods) to hang up the new curtains for the dining room. We already know how hard it is to find burnished brass ANYTHING, so I was ready to scream when I realized I was going to need curtain rods. Not to mention the fact that the windows in our dining room are abnormally large. I'm talking, two are 78 inches across and one is 114 inches across. Yeah, huge. AHH! We were looking at rugs at Home Depot and what did I spy right across the aisle? These finials with matching rods! And they were long enough for my windows!
  
Yep, I said new dining room curtains up there... We were at Marshall's over the weekend (just like every other weekend, it seems like!) and right after I found the clock that I posted about a few days ago, I walked by the curtains and found the deal of a lifetime! I figured there was no way in hell I'd find curtains there for my dining room since I'd need six panels and there usually aren't that many of one style available. I found six beautiful, gold silky panels though! What'd it put me back? 39 DOLLARS FOR ALL SIX. Insane, since that was the original price for just ONE panel! Woo! I thought it'd look a little weird to have 9 and a half foot and 6 and a half foot windows with curtains at the ends and nothing else but I was stumped when it came to what kind of valance to get. I browsed and browsed and browsed and just when I thought I couldn't browse anymore, I found the ones below. Chocolate brown with gold leaves! Perfection! Andy's mom is making sheers for us (hooray!) so we can get rid of the ugly, ugly blinds from the previous owners. By the end of the week (I had to order the valances), our dining room windows will be bland no more!



Other than buying out what seemed like all of the tri-cities in the home-decor category, we watched the Red Wings and had chicken fajitas at my mom's, LOL. What exciting lives we lead. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment