Tuesday, February 8, 2011

TV Tuesday: Recommendation


If there’s one show that you haven’t watched yet and absolutely should, it’s the Big Bang Theory. While my brother DID give me all of the seasons (so glad his fraternity has every season of every show under the sun to share!), a few other people told me I needed this show in my life and you know what? They were right!

Aside from Monty Python, I’m not a fan of stupid humor. I know plenty of people that get a kick out of American Dad or Reno 911 (my husband being one of them), but to me? It’s just, well… Stupid. I know plenty of people that laugh every time they hear the dueling farts from Family Guy. But me? Once was enough. The thing I love most about BBT is that it follows a group of genius physicists. Their banter and jokes are SMART while still maintaining a funny factor. I don’t necessarily like to be “tested” while watching a show but I’d like to at least think my brain isn’t going to turn to goo from watching a few seasons!


Normally, my favorite ANYTHING is the underdog. Something else I absolutely adore about this show is that the four guys (Leonard, Sheldon, Howard and Raj) are ALL underdogs. Leonard, try as he might, just can’t get the girl across the hall, Penny. Sheldon lacks the ability to comprehend ANY sort of social skill – random kindness, sarcasm, irony, etc. Howard tries to be a ladies man, fails miserably and always ends up coming off as utterly creepy. Raj totally loses the capability to speak whenever a girl joins a conversation. I have to admit, though, I think that Sheldon is my favorite of the underdogs. It’s just so funny to watch him try to interact with others that it makes the whole show for me!

Penny, the girl across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon, works at the Cheesecake Factory and becomes friends with the group even though she is nowhere near as intelligent. The interactions between her and Sheldon are easily the most amusing, especially since Sheldon thinks his intelligence makes him some sort of superhuman and Penny thinks his intelligence makes him socially retarded.

( They are invited to a costume party and all try to be the Flash. )

I want to end with quotes that make me laugh every. single. time. Enjoy. ;)

Zack: Is that the laser? It's bitchin'.
Sheldon: Yes. In 1917, when Albert Einstein established the theoretic foundation for the laser in his paper "Zur Quantentheorie de Strahlung," his fondest hope was that the resultant device be bitchin'.

Sheldon: Good morning!
Penny: Do you have any idea what time it is?
Sheldon: Of course I do, my watch is linked to the atomic clock in Boulder, Colorado. It’s accurate to one-tenth of a second, but as I’m saying this, it occurs to me once again your question may have been rhetorical.

Sheldon: Why do you have the Chinese character for "soup" tattooed on your right buttock?
Penny: It's not "soup," it's "courage."
Sheldon: No, it isn't. But I suppose it does take courage to demonstrate that kind of commitment to soup.

Sheldon: I find zombies dancing in choreographed synchronicity implausible. And, also, it’s really scary.



No comments:

Post a Comment